|Information Sheet of Rice Related Project/Program in CARD First Group Countries|
|2. Title (Full name)||Area-Based Agricultural Modernization Programme (AAMP)|
|3. Project Location||16 Districts of Bundibugyo, Bushenyi, Kabale, Kabarole, Kamwenge, Kanungu, Kasese, Kisoro, Kyenjojo, Mbarara, Ibanda, Kiruhuura, Isingiro, Ntungamo, Rukungiri, and Sembabule|
|4. Type of project||2|
|1. Grant, 2. Loan, 3. Technical Coop./Assistance, 4. National budget, 5. Private sector|
|5. Field of support||3||4||5||6||8|
|1. Policy, 2. R & D, 3. Extension & Training, 4. Production, 5. Marketing
6. Post-harvest, 7. Irrigation, 8. Credit, 9. Seed, 10. Other ( specify below )
|6. Fund sources
|International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), African Development Bank (AfDB), Government of Uganda|
|7. Budget||Total cost: US$ 16.1 million
IFAD loan: US$ 13.2 million, Contribution of borrower: US$ 1.5 million, Contribution of beneficiaries: US$ 1.4 million
|8. Project duration||Start:||14 Nov. 2003|
|9. Goal and objectives||Goal:||To contribute to poverty alleviation by increasing household incomes through increased agricultural productivity|
|Obj.:||Smallholder agriculture modernized in the Area-Based Agriculture Modernization Programme (AAMP) districts.|
|10. Target beneficiaries||Direct:||(a) economically active smallholders living in the rural areas who wish to participate in commercial agriculture; and (b) existing or potential small-scale entrepreneurs and business associations who provide services to rural households
|11. Project component (activities)||1.||Agricultural Commercialization
- Technical Support to Farming Enterprises
· Assist the operations of the field extension workers to support farmer’s economic interest groups.
· Strengthen farmers’ access to up-to-date technical information and advice.
· Support farm-based testing of technology, priority onstation investigations under contract to the National Agriculture Research Organization (NARO).
· Undertake studies/surveys related to farming systems in AAMP districts.
- Business Development and Improved Market Linkages
· Provide agribusiness training to interest groups.
· Make matching grants to interest groups for accessing support from private sector and NGOs to Make Market linkages.
· Purchase air time on local radio to disseminate technical, price and Market information.
- Microfinance Training
· Assess demand for training.
· Select an organization to undertake the training and one to train the trainers.
· Carryout the training.
· Evaluate the training.
· Provide technical and agribusiness in-service training.
· Facilitate the operation of the district based Technology Adaptation Specialists.
|2.||Rural Infrastructure Development
· Identification and planning of rural infrastructure investments.
· Construction and/or rehabilitation of rural infrastructure.
· Operation and maintenance of the infrastructure developed.
· Provide training for district and county Works Section Staff.
· Facilitate the operation of the district technical staff and Roads Inspectors.
· Hold district and sub-county start-up workshops.
· Train the Community Development Officers and Community Development Assistants.
· Awareness creation and community
· Set up and operate appropriate financial management, accounting, monitoring, reporting and audit system.
· Provide technical support to the districts.
· Organize beneficiary monitoring of the programme.
· Arrange for external evaluations and for the Mid-term Review and Programme Completion Reviews.
|12. Expected results (outputs)||1.||Increased involvement of the private sector in support of the further commercialization of smallholder agriculture.|
|2.||Improved capacity among economically active farmers to organize themselves to gain better access to rural services (technical, financial and marketing).|
|3.||Sustainable development and improvement of rural infrastructure.|
|4.||Increased public-sector capacity to respond to production needs identified by interest groups/rural communities.|
|13. Inputs||1.||Activities cost|
|14. Implementing agency||EXECUTING AGENCY: Ministry of Local Government in collaboration with ten district local governments|
|15. Status of the project||4||1. Pipeline, 2. Approved, 3. Ongoing, 4. Completed|
|Keywords:||Agriculture Modernization, Rural Infrastructure, Farming Enterprises, Microfinance, Smallholder agriculture, Commercialization, Community Development|